Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Sorcerer's Apprentice Review

I finally sat down and watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice last night and I really enjoyed it. I am a Disney lover, so it had quite a lot to live up to in my eyes and I thought it did a great job. There were quite a few predictable moments, but few movies today don't have that same issue.
I wasn't too sure about Nicolas Cage as the lead before I saw the movie. He has done some great movies, but I always say "that is Nicolas Cage playing that person". It's always him, I never get lost in the character where you forget who is playing them. This movie, I had some of those moments. There were several scenes where it was just Balthazar, but there were still the Nicolas Cage playing Balthazar moments.
Jay Baruchel did an excellent job playing Dave, the awkward young adult trying to find out who he is thing. Some of the awkwardness was almost painful. There was one moment with him on top of the Chrysler building with Becky, played by Teresa Palmer, where he actually reminded me of Christian Slater a bit with his shrugging shoulders and speech.
For me, the standout was Toby Kebbell playing Drake Stone. I had NO idea that this was the same actor that played Garsiv in The Prince of Persia. He played the character so convincingly. It does help that his character was written well and added a touch of humor to the story.
All in all I thought the cast was really good for this movie and they made a movie that was fun to watch.
From a parent's stand point, this is not a movie for young children. There isn't a lot of gore as the characters just turned to a kind of dust or disappeared usually. There was no bad language or sex. It was just a little scary in parts. The characters get sucked in to different containers, a character is formed out of a growing pile of roaches, there are some pretty destructive fight scenes and a few of the characters die, just not in very violent ways. The scariest part (to me at least) was the scene in Chinatown with Sun-Lok. He was very creepy looking, but still kinda cool looking. He brought a dragon to life and controlled it with a dragon on his belt. This part was the scariest mainly because of the dragon and because the dragon on his belt was moving under his skin which was very realistic looking.
For older children, this would not be a bad movie to watch. As with every movie, I suggest watching it without them the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment